Tuesday, April 7, 2020

The Fugitive Kind - Day 2


Marlon Brando, in a Tennessee Williams story, directed by Sidney Lumet. My ex-wife bought me the DVD 10 years ago and I never watched it. Now I had the chance. It’s an art film based on literature or like my  teacher, Professor Brady, once referred to Apocalypse Now as an attempt at art based on Art.
It’s not for everyone. An assorted bunch of the usual Tennessee Williams cast of misanthropes, vagabonds and drunks try to make their way working at a New Orleans dry goods store. Drama ensues.
The reason to watch is Brando, who is mesmerizing in every scene. He changed acting forever and here is a prime example of how he was ahead of his time in terms of naturalism. I notice how almost everyone else is “acting” and he is aloof and cool, delivering his lines as if he were living them. What a talent he was before he went insane.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Hammer - Day 16