Tuesday, April 7, 2020

World’s Fastest Indian - Day 1


I can’t explain why I had a sudden urge to watch this Anthony Hopkins vehicle about a man who breaks the land-speed record in an antique motorcycle. I avoided watching this for many years. I wasn’t aware it was in Australia, whoops, I mean New Zealand. I like to see Anthony Hopkins playing a character instead of a personality. It’s kind of charming in its cliches. There’s like a reverse Dennis the Menace thing going on with the neighbor's kid that's endearing to a point.
I have questions though. When he gets to America, why does he befriend a transvestite? Why does she seem to fall in love with him? Not sure why everyone is so eager to help him. Why does the Native American put him up for the night? How does he seduce two women on his trip? I can't explain it. 
There’s a Forrest Gump kind of quality to the film -- a solitary journey of serendipities.
Not much adversity, just a series of small incidents along the way to the big event. Great appearance by a young Walton Goggins! If you would like to watch something lighthearted about historic moments in motorcycle history, featuring old people sex, this will do the trick.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Hammer - Day 16